Derby Historical Society
Museum, 35 Junior High Drive, Derby Center, VT
Mailing Address: PO Box 357, Derby, VT 05829
Contact: Bill Gardyne, president
October 14th at 10:00 AM
MILITARY HISTORICAL MARKER TO BE PLACED IN DERBY
In December 1813, the town of Derby was raided by British soldiers in the War of 1812. The raid was at a militia supply depot and barracks area next to Derby Pond. Supplies, horses, and ammunition was looted, and the buildings were burned. The Derby Historical Society is placing a memorial sign at the location of the raid. On Saturday, October 14 at 10:00AM, we will commemorate this event with a brief ceremony and unveiling of the sign. The location is by the cemetery on Nelson Hill Road. After the event, the Derby Historical Society building on Main Street, at 35 Junior High Drive in Derby, will be open for tours with refreshments. All these events are free and open to the public. For more information contact Ken Lawson at 803-479-1339.
The Derby Historical Society brings together people interested in Derby history. The society collects, preserves, and displays material to illustrate the history of the town. The Derby Historical Society Museum is housed in the old 1840 Derby Academy building. Its aim is to be accessible to all who wish to examine, study, and preserve it. We also disseminate historical information by holding public live presentations and provide information through local media, coordinate with local schools, and provide information to educate the public about local Derby heritage. We cooperate with the state and neighboring societies in collecting and preserving local heritage.
Hours and Admission:
The museum is open in the summer on Sunday afternoons from 2:00 – 4:00 or by appointment.
Admission is free, donations are greatly appreciated.
Orleans County Historical Society
The Orleans County Historical Society owns and operates the Old Stone House Museum, the people’s history museum of Orleans County, located in the Brownington Village Historic District. The Old Stone House and the Lawrence Barn, an agricultural exhibit, are open for guided tours from May 15 to October 15. All Orleans County residents receive a discount on admissions at the Museum. The visitor’s center, located in the Alexander Twilight House across from the museum, is open year-round. The Prospect Hill Observatory, offering a panoramic view of Orleans County and beyond, is open from May 1 to November 1. The library and archives, in the Cyrus Easton House are open by appointment year-round.
Each year the museum sponsors a series of public events and educational programs including the Collector’s Fair, the Northeast Kingdom History Fair, the Antique Gas and Steam Engine Show Time Traveler’s Day Camp and Heritage Craft Classes, as well as lectures. This year, students from all over Orleans County will participate in a variety of educational program offered by the museum including; History Fair, Spring Field Day, history day camp and Fall Harvest Day.
The museum seeks donations of objects, photographs, and written or printed material relevant to the history of Orleans County. For more information on programs or membership please call 754-2022, visit our website http://oldstonehousemuseum.org/, or stop by and visit at 109 Old Stone House Rd., Brownington, VT 05860
Vermont Historical Society